Get the full safari experience just a five-minute drive from our boutique hotel in Southern California, Shadow Mountain Resort & Club. Feed the tallest giraffes you’ve ever seen, say “g’ day mate,” to some wallabies, and meet some ferocious cheetahs. You even have the opportunity to interact with and groom African livestock at The Living Desert Zoo & Gardens. After you’ve had your fill of wildlife at the best California zoo near our resort, peruse the many Palm Desert hiking trails on-site and relax in the gardens.
Things to Do at The Living Desert California Zoo
If you’re looking for things to do in Palm Desert with kids, check out The Living Desert. It’s also a prime attraction for adults, so everyone’s bound to have a great time. Learn about The Living Desert’s animal conservation efforts, meet new and unique safari animals, and get up close and personal with a beautiful assortment of butterflies and hummingbirds. Prepare for a day at the best California zoo in Palm Desert and choose from a plethora of daily activities.
- For seven dollars, you can feed a giraffe a tasty snack.
- Go for a spin on the endangered species carousel.
- Schedule a private tour and see behind the scenes of the safari experience.
- Check out the calendar for daily animal encounters, like the reptile show, and wildlife wonders show, which features free-flight birds and training demonstrations.
- Get hands-on experiences with African livestock: Sicilian dwarf donkeys, Ankole cattle, and Nigerian dwarf goats.
- Treat the kiddos to the Discovery Center and Gecko Gulch, where they’ll learn about how the climate affects the Southern California landscape and let their imaginations run wild.
However, if it’s a traditional zoo experience you’re looking for, you’re sure to appreciate their assortment of animals, including a few mates from Australia. Relax at their on-site gardens and find beauty in desert vegetation.
Reserve the Best Palm Desert Resort for Your Getaway
A morning adventure to The Living Desert is the perfect way to learn about safari and Australian wildlife with friends and family. Plus, you’re bound to have fantastic photo opportunities at this California zoo, so you’ll have something to commemorate your getaway to our Palm Desert resort. When you’re at Shadow Mountain Resort, take advantage of all the fantastic amenities: go for a dip in the pool, engage in a lively tennis match, play a round of golf, or schedule a stress-relieving massage. Check out our specials to get the most of your Palm Desert vacation. For more information about visiting The Living Desert, or making a reservation, please don’t hesitate to contact us.